This is one of the greatest plugins of all time.
Magic Pencil for Aseprite
A downloadable tool for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Magic Pencil is an extension for Aseprite that provides additional options for the pencil tool.
How to use the extension
Go to the Edit menu and click the Magic Pencil option, select an effect from the dialog window and use the pencil tool.
Please note that most options use magic colors, selected colors will be restored after closing the Magic Pencil dialog window or selecting the Regular option.
Tool [Outline] - adds an outline around a closed shape that you click on, works with foreground (left-click) and background (right-click) colors.
Brush [Outline] - adds an outline around the brush as you draw. After selecting this option, the outline's color can be changed under this option in the dialog window.
Lift - moves a part of the image into its own layer.
Unique [Mix] - mixes colors, left-click uses the RGB color model to mix colors, while right-click uses HSV.
Proportional [Mix] - mixes colors taking into account the number of pixels of each color, left-click uses the RGB color model to mix colors, while right-click uses HSV.
Colorize - changes color (hue), works with foreground (left-click) and background (right-click) colors.
Desaturate - removes color (hue) completely.
Hue/Saturation/Value/Lightness [Shift] - changes the colors based on the selected property, left-click to add, right-click to subtract. You can change how much of a shift will be applied by changing the percentage slider under these options.
Indexed Mode - when enabled, prevents new colors from being introduced, and any option that modifies colors will use colors from the palette.
- Using any option from the Magic Pencil on a completely empty cel will result in the first stroke being treated as a regular pencil
- Selecting colors from the palette when using any option from the Magic Pencil other than Outline or Colorize (which actually use the selected color) will interfere with its working and result in odd behavior
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Update v1.0.3 - Outline Brush, RGB Shift & Selection96 days ago
- Update v1.0.2 - Indexed ModeJun 07, 2022
- Update v1.0.1 - Bugfixes & improved stabilityJun 04, 2022
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
doesnt work to me
What version of Aseprite are you using? Do other extensions work for you?
v.1.2.29, but i will soon update it
Magic Pencil relies on events that were introduced in version 1.2.30, I believe the oldest version I tested this extension on was 1.2.35.
If you’d like to use this extention (and gor other reasons), I’d recommend to upgrade Aseprite to the newest, available version.
Where can do atomization effect ? I no find it ....
can you help me ?
I’m assuming that by atomisation you mean the simulated sand/water - they aren’t included in the Magic Pencil, they will be released separately in the future.
I try 10 times, still got this error, install 1.02 or 1.03 same error.... can you help me ?
You can try to:
- Uninstall the extension first from Edit > Preferences > Extensions, it might throw this error, ignore it
- Close and reopen Aseprite, make sure it’s removed in Prefer Edit > Preferences > Extensions
- Try installing Magic Pencil fresh, v1.0.3 would be the best, this shouldn’t throw an error
- Restart Aseprite and check does Magic Pencil appear in the Edit menu and does it work
If this doesn’t help, please provide:
- Aseprite version
- Operating system version I’ll try to investigate this issue further.
I dont know if its a bug, but you can spawn another windows even though it's already appear?
99% chance it’s a bug, 1% it’s an extra feature - this is an untested case, thank you for reporting this!
Does the magic pencil work with indexed palettes?
Sadly, it doesn’t there are technical reasons for it, the current implementation makes it difficult. Until API changes or I find a solution to make it work reliably it’s only for RGB color mode.
However, it does have an Indexed Mode which restricts all colors to the current palette, which means no function of the Magic Pencil will introduce new colors to your image.
This is so useful and easy to use. Great job!
A noob question. How am I supposed to install it?
That’s a fair question
- Download the ZIP file from this page - any version, though the newest is recommended
- Extract files from the ZIP archive
- Open the Magic Pencil.aseprite-extension file, extracted from the ZIP archive
- A window within Aseprite should pop-up asking you to confirm the installation, click Yes (twice if that’s an update)
- Restart Aseprite
Good stuff. Thank you!
That's just awesome...you're a genius! <3
I said I would live and die for magic pencil and now I get to live that out. Best extension on the web.
This is incredible!
amazing, it's the Excalibur.
This is awesome!